image1 image2 image3

HELLO|I'M SATYAM SHANDILYA|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG

Gracias, Symantec!



Two and a half years ago, I relocated to Pune to join Symantec. New job, better pay and a new city - I was totally excited about the journey I was about to start. At the same time, I was anxious about adapting to the demands of being a part of one of the most renowned Cybersecurity organization in the world. After a fun filled ride as I move on to pursue another career opportunity, it is time to sit back and reflect upon my days at Symantec/Broadcom.

I still remember my first day at Symantec. After the joining formalities and team introduction, my manager gave an overview of the group along with the reporting structure. I was also told about the ramp up plan. Afterwards I was provided with all the useful resources to understand the system I was supposed to work with. By the end of the day, my reaction was - “Gee! Things happened pretty fast”. Thanks to the buddy program, I always had my buddy to go to for all the queries. Next 4 weeks were all about me ramping up on the different areas of the system - architecture, functional significance and code. Apart from the shared resources, I had to reach out to different members of the team to understand some concepts and components better. Their willingness to accommodate my numerous queries in their busy schedule was remarkable and it helped me learn faster. And then, there were regular whiteboard sessions that I scheduled for sharing my learnings with the team to identify any missing areas. In each of these session I was presented with so many questions - some easy, some difficult, all relevant. Looking back, a lot of credit goes to these sessions to make me have an understanding of the system as a whole. It made my job so much easier as a developer going forward.

Coding, designing, re-designing, exploring new technologies, leading initiatives, cross-team collaborations, challenging conventions, interviewing prospective candidates - I got a chance to wear so many different hats over last two years. Being part of a team which was willing to go the extra mile to get things done and having the support of superiors allowed me to take a dive into uncharted territories. I truly am thankful to my team for my current understanding of DevOps, network intricacies, big data and a number of other technologies & architectures. I am also thankful to the superiors for all the support and guidance.

It was not all about work only, it was a fun ride. “Get in and get it happening” people at Symantec were also big on fun. During my stay here, I have made buddies, travel-buddies, tea-break-buddies, lunch-break-buddies and happy-hour-buddies. Each one of them has touched my life in their own way. 

Symantec has played a big role in making me what I am today - personally and professionally. I have thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. Gracias!

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment