image1 image2 image3

HELLO|I'M SATYAM SHANDILYA|WELCOME TO MY PERSONAL BLOG

Remembering Anshuman

Remembering Anshuman


"Hey Siri, call Anshuman" - this was me after wrapping up the long last week at work. In the past, this phone call was inevitable during or after a chain of long weeks - some casual chit chat, cribbing about work, remembering good old school days and concluding it with what the future would be like. It was different this time though. I rushed to end the call as soon as Siri responded with "Calling Anshuman".

It has been more than 3 months since we lost Anshuman and this is for the first time that I have tried to gather all my thoughts and write something about this loss. Just like anybody who knew him, I had a hard time accepting his tragic demise. He was young, healthy (until he wasn't) and as genuine as a person can be. So, when Supreet called with this sad news, I was as speechless and numb as anyone would be. It took me few days to come to terms with it. The inability to express this loss resulted in me constantly evading saying a proper good bye or talking to the family in mourning. 

I first met Anshuman back in 2003. We were both new to the school. I'd be lying if I say that I remember how we became friends. But I'm glad we did. A quiet person otherwise, he used to come alive in conversations around certain subjects/topics (i.e. physics) or while showing his strength to us during recess. Given his passion for Mathematics, he was also a genuine candidate for the alias of "Maths" (we eventually acknowledged that this alias was apt for another friend of ours). We did , however, end up calling him "Sharath Kamal" for his exploits in table tennis. A trusted friend that he was, he always stood behind us in all our adventures, misadventures and eccentricity during school days. Later, we graduated from the same university in the same batch which resulted in having some memorable moments and conversations around life, career and college days. As we transitioned into the corporate life, our in person meetings were few and far between.  Yet, we made up for that with frequent telephonic conversations and chats. He was my friend. 

He was a loving person. An incredible human being. He stood by family and friends through thick and thin. He was also a fighter who had the willingness to try harder and the courage to get back up every time something knocked him down. The thing is, he was always there when it mattered - to cheer, to celebrate and to reassure. And now, he isn't. There are memories, and I am going to treasure them, forever. It is an irreparable loss to his family, and I pray that the tender memories soften their grief. 

To you my friend, farewell. Rest easy in sleep eternal. I'll see you on the other side.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment